Understanding the challenges of lost or destroyed tax records

At some point, taxpayers may find themselves in a situation where they have lost or no longer have records to support a tax claim. Whether it’s due to misplacing documents during a move, technology failures, or even natural disasters, the result can be devastating, both personally and financially. However, there are steps you can take to remedy the situation or at least achieve an acceptable outcome. 


Using tax professionals for guidance

First and foremost, it’s important to know that Regency Partners holds a substantial amount of required information on your behalf. Therefore, your initial and best course of action should be to contact your friendly tax professional. They can assist you in navigating the process and provide guidance based on your specific circumstances.


Assistance from the ATO

The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) can also be of assistance. They have the ability to re-issue or provide copies of various tax documents, including income tax returns, activity statements, and notices of assessment. If you require duplicates of any tax-related documents, the ATO can help facilitate that process.


Recovering lost or forgotten tax file numbers

In the event that you have lost your Tax File Number (TFN), it is highly likely that the ATO has it on record. Even if you haven’t previously provided your TFN, it is still possible to interact with the ATO using alternative information to verify your identity, such as your date of birth, address, and bank account details. Your super fund will also have your TFN, but they will also require identity verification. 


Recovering employer and bank records

Your employer or payer should have copies of your PAYG payment summaries, and your bank should be able to provide you with any bank records that may have been destroyed. It’s worth noting that if your bank charges a fee for replacing bank records or providing any other service to help you reconstruct your records or provide information due to a disaster, you can claim a deduction for those fees in the income year they are charged.


Claiming without substantiation

If you are unable to substantiate claims made in your tax returns or activity statements because your records have been lost or destroyed, the ATO generally has provisions to accept the claim without substantiation. This applies when it is not reasonably possible to obtain the original documents supporting your claims.


Special considerations for SMSFs

For individuals with self-managed super funds (SMSFs), it is a requirement to maintain compliance by keeping certain records. If you have lost these records due to a disaster, you can contact the ATO at 13 10 20 to request additional time to meet your reporting obligations. Whenever possible, the ATO should make previously reported information available for your SMSF.


Navigating the process and finding solutions

While losing or destroying tax records can be a stressful experience, it’s important not to panic. By reaching out to your tax professional and utilising the resources provided by the ATO, you can navigate this situation and work towards an acceptable outcome. Remember, there are options available to help you reconstruct your records and fulfill your tax obligations.



For more information and assistance in dealing with lost or destroyed tax records, do not hesitate to contact our experienced team.

More information

Get in contact with us for more information on this topic

Article info


Regency Partners

View profile

Key contacts

Follow us

Related news